Wednesday, March 4, 2009

photo 63



On our way to the hotel we passed through older sections of the city. I was surprised by all of the graffiti. Now, I have to admit, I like graffiti...not the gang sort of graffiti, but the artistic graffiti. I love checking it out in different cities to see how it varies. My favourite graffiti is usually found on train cars. When I am stopped at a railroad crossing I watch each car that passes...like a moving art gallery.
-
While I loved some of the graffiti in Vienna (like the sample pictured), I was disheartened to see graffiti on the walls of buildings that were hundreds of years old. Gorgeous architecture marred by vandalism. Because to me, graffiti belongs on rail road cars, backs of abandoned buildings, and warehouses...not on historic buildings, in my mind that is where the invisible line between art and vandalism is crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment